Re: papers for Pt/Pd

Keith (KEITH@ccp.arizona.edu)
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 15:31:15 -0700 (MST)

> Keith Schreiber writes:
>
> >Recently I have
> >tried a sample of Arches Platine and found it to have all of the qualities I
> >am looking for but with one major problem. I can't get it to clear completely,
> >whether I use my standard procedure of 5 minutes in 3 consecutive baths of 4%
> >phosphoric acid or following explicitly Martin Axon's suggestions which came
> >with the paper.
>
> Could you say what these suggestions are, please?
>
> Mike

I quote directly from the sheet "USING ARCHES PLATINE PAPER":
Develop for two minutes.
Rinse.
Clear in acid baths, two baths eight minutes each. (4% citric acid)
Rinse.
Final clearing in sodium sulphite bath for five minutes. (minimum 2%)
Wash for twenty minutes.

I have tried this procedure with citric acid, EDTA, and phosphoric acid
and always there remains a faint yellow stain around the edges. I wonder
if those printers who do not mask the edges of their prints might not
notice such a faint stain.
I will try David's suggestion of Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent next. This
makes me wonder if other wash aids such as Orbit Bath or Permawash might
also work. Do they contain the same ingredients as HCA?

Mike, do you know if there is a source for the Buxton and Van Gelder
papers in the US? If not would you post the address and telephone for John
Purcell Papers, London?

Much thanks to all who responded.

Keith Schreiber
Center for Creative Photography