Re: selenium risk

romek@ozemail.com.au
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 23:43:13 +1000 (EST)

At 06:31 27/10/95 +1000, you wrote:

>A friend asks if he needs to wear respirator for selenium toning. Before
>I dismiss that as arrant nonsense, said I'd ask the experts....

Hello Judy!
Just few remarks. Selenium toners may be based on sulfides or sulfites. The
first one smells like a rotten egg, the second no. H2S is a strongly toxic
gas, therefore ventilation is a must. Selenium in small quantities is
important part of diet, more concentrated is toxic. Please, spare me from
typing all that stuff. If you have slip/ppp (gopher or www) Internet
account, get relevant MSDS from any site that offers them. It's true,
selenium is toxic in a powdery form. In a solution is as good as for example
sulfides ;-{0. So, once mixed, probably enough safe for not to wear a mask.

HAND

Roman

--Roman Kielich, Lane Cove, Australia, ph. 61-2-418-6971
###And now let's get drunk and play ping-pong.###
romek@ozemail.com.au--