Re: selenium risk

Howard W Etkind (etkindh@ucunix.san.uc.EDU)
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 11:52:17 -0400 (EDT)

I really don't think a respirator is needed for premixed selenium toner.
If you mix the powder, then a respirator is needed to prevent intake of
the powder or dust. If you spill selenium toner, and let the spill dry,
the dust can cause problems. For toning, keep the hands out, wear
nitrile gloves, don't eat, drink or apply make-up, including chap-stick
in the darkroom. Clean-up all spills, do it in a sink wash down and
clean-up easier, then you should be in good shape.

If you need more info, see Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products and
it gives a very good discussion of all kodak products.

Howard Etkind