Re: plyboy@teleport.com (Jim Spiri)

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 5 Nov 95 15:10 GMT

Jim

I thought your post very interesting - and it helped me towards sorting
out a few things I've been thinking about for a while.

Anyone didn't like it I don't know what they are doing here.

None of my alternative process things on WWW yet either for similar
reasons (but also because it's not an area in which I've been active
recently). However I might put some up some time. Despite the problems
you so rightly mention, it may be better to give people some idea of
what you are doing rather than no idea at all. I've just brought out
another edition of my little (very amateur) magazine with about 8
illustrations in black and white saying 'original in colour'. I felt
that was better than not putting them in at all. In the same way maybe
I'll put up some images on the web with text saying 'original is
platinum print on Waterford HP paper' or some such. We can't all
experience the original (some of us don't even know where Bend is, or,
without consulting an atlas, Oregon for that matter.)

One of the things I regularly do in class is to show students half a
dozen different reproductions of the same print (did it Friday for
Stand's 'White Fence' as it happened) and discuss the problems of
reproduction and the need to see original work. And yes, we do go and do
just that where we can.

Peter
petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk