Re: PMK with alternative processes

Larry Bullis (lbullis@ctc.ctc.edu)
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:04:22 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, s carl king wrote:

> Does anybody have experience using PMK developed negatives with
> altenative processes requiring UV light. Several years ago I began
> using this developer for most of my work and love it for silver
> printing, but when printing carbon the golden stain seems to serve
> as an actinic filter and my exposures are 2x or more that of
> negatives processed in other developers like D-72, HC-110, etc.
> I suspect there is no solution to this problem, but if there is
> I would like to hear form you>

I have never used PMK but I do use Pyro Acetone and Windisch
pyrocatechol. My cyanotype exposures got so long that I reluctantly went
back to hc110. I have used the Windisch for special purposes such as
night images, where it knows no peer, in spite of the long printing time.

One thing I have never tried with non silver (but has worked well with
silver prints under very special conditions) is to bleach out the silver
image entirely with Farmer's reducer, then print from the stain alone.
Seems to me it would be worth a try.

Larry Bullis
Shoreline Community College