Re: Carbon Printing

Stefan Stecher (sstecher@linux1.rz.htw-kempten.de)
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 16:34:50 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, s carl king wrote:

> First, to Stefan, I donUt understand why you sensitize the tissue
> during the coating operation.

I use mostly baryta paper as final support and on its smooth and white
surface you see every fault in the image caused by any kind of uneven
sensitizing (uneven drying, drops of sensitizer left on the tissue, marks
from a brush...). Pre sensitized tissue avoids this problems and it
workes very well compared to "normal" processed tissues. I never saw
reticulation, frilling or something like that with pre-sensitized tissue.

> you have less contrast control with pre-sensitized

The way of contrast control is the same by adding different amounts of
dichromate salt to the emulsion. You only have to adapt your working habits.

The advantage is its fine printing quality and its good behaviour.

It offers also the possibility of makeing "quick" test strips.
For this I coat the same emulsion on a piece of transparent plastic
and develope it directly after exposure without transfer

Last not least you save time because it eliminates the sensitizing step
and it avoids the need of large traces with dangerous dichromate

> Pre-sensitizing also introduces storage problems. Non-sensitized tissue
>can be stored at room temperature for weeks and months on end with
> no appreciable deterioration, not the case with pre-sensitized
> tissue.

You are absolutely right and so I only coat as much material (with certain
contrast) as I need the next day.

> To Luis, I donUt understand your remarks about drying time. In
> normal working conditions there is no way I can get coated tissue
> to dry in 2-3 hours. Perhaps you did not pick up on the fact that
> Stefan was pre-sensitizing his tissue?

Thank you for these questions to Luis, hope he has a solution to achieve
drying times like 2-3 hours. I tried it with a high amount of alcohol
as I wrote to Wayde but with no satisfying result.

Please Sandy don t forget to tell me something about the PMK developer.
I am realy interested in its properties and the supplier or at least its
formula.