Re: Carbon Printing

nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:47:43 +0300

>On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Sil Horwitz wrote:
>
>> Are there any commercial sources for carbon tissue? Several years ago I was
>> in contact with a German company that made carbon tissues for typographic
>> purposes, but these were all transparent gelatin coatings. It seems to me
>> with all the interest, someone should be preparing a commercial product.
>> Does anyone have any information on this?
>
>Gallery 614 sells rolls of commercially made tissue for around $300 per
>roll. You can contact them at:
>
> Gallery 614
> Dr. Robert Green
> 219-281-2752
>
>What they have is a stock of tissue originally made by a german company
>which as I understand it is no longer in business, or at least no longer
>making the tissue.

Hanfstaengl is no longer in business. I think there was some discussion on
this list and elsewhere that some of the Hanfstaengl tissues were notorious
for fog problems. Typically, the neutral black was still good after years
of being kept at room temperature, while the greenish stuff showed
considerable fog after only a few months even when it was kept in a deep
freezer.

I wouldn't buy any old pigment material from anyone unless it came with a
full money back guarantee, no questions asked.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

They are sold out of brown and black monochrome