Re: Carbon Printing

J. Wayde Allen 303-497-5871 (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:09:37 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Sil Horwitz wrote:

> Are there any commercial sources for carbon tissue? Several years ago I was
> in contact with a German company that made carbon tissues for typographic
> purposes, but these were all transparent gelatin coatings. It seems to me
> with all the interest, someone should be preparing a commercial product.
> Does anyone have any information on this?

Gallery 614 sells rolls of commercially made tissue for around $300 per
roll. You can contact them at:

Gallery 614
Dr. Robert Green
219-281-2752

What they have is a stock of tissue originally made by a german company
which as I understand it is no longer in business, or at least no longer
making the tissue. They are sold out of brown and black monochrome
tissue. All that is left are something like green, blue, rust red, and
tricolor tissue. I think they have looked into making tissue
commercially, but the equipment for coating large batches of paper is
expensive. I would also guess that the market isn't that big either.

- Wayde Allen
(allen@boulder.nist.gov)