Re: NuArc printers

Larry Bullis (lbullis@ctc.ctc.edu)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:25:35 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Adam Kimball wrote:

> Once again I've begun thinking about the possibility of acquiring a
> platemaker of some sort for Kallitype/Pt-Pd printing. Does anyone out
> there have one they are looking to sell? How about resources on the
> internet for "printing" where they may be listed? Any help at all would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, are there any specific model #'s I should look for? My ideal printer
> would be somewhere around 11x14 to 12x20, have an integrator, and a
> vaccuum. What comes to mind?

I won't sell my NuArc N750, but would recommend that particular model. My
integrator is not working but I get around it by covering the work with a
cardboard, getting the lamp hot, quickly pulling out the drawer which the
vac frame is in, removing the card and restarting the exposure. I know
that Sam Wang uses an identical machine and he probably would have some
comments, too. What I particularly like about this machine is that it is
pretty small. It requires about three or four persons to move it, but it
fits on a table. The vacuum frame is big enough for what you have in
mind, but I'm not sure whether the illumination is even out to the edges
because I've never done anything that big.

As for finding one of these, I would recommend calling all the print
shops in the phone book, one after the other. We just had a printer
offer to donate a machine to the college; we couldn't take it because it
was a refrigerator sized item and we weren't able to arrange the space
before he had already found someone else who wanted it. The point is,
though, that everyone has space restrictions. That one was sitting out
in the rain for a couple of days, though in perfect working order. He
would have given it to you, just to find a home for it, had you been
there.

I got my NuArc from a dealer in used printing equipment. I called and
pled poverty. He sold it to me for $200 as is. It had been sitting
around for a couple years. Everyone has space restrictions, even
companies that sell presses as big as truck and trailer combinations.

Good luck.

Larry Bullis