Re: NuArc printers

J. Wayde Allen 303-497-5871 (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 12:15:27 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Adam Kimball wrote:

> Once again I've begun thinking about the possibility of acquiring a
> platemaker of some sort for Kallitype/Pt-Pd printing. Does anyone out
> there have one they are looking to sell?

I acquired a "platemaker" recently, but haven't had a chance to figure out
how it works, if it works, and/or what to do with it. What I have is a
machine originally designed for making blueprint copies. Unfortunately, I
don't remember the brand name or model. It looks like a roller mechanism
takes the copy and sensitized paper past a lamp, and then runs the exposed
paper through a developing solution (ammonia?).

I picked this thing up since I have been interested in alternative
processes, and thought it might be useful. However, my primary interest
at present is carbon printing. I think the rollers might crack the
gelatin emulsion on the transfer tissue, and I probably couldn't make use
of the developing system. I might be able to use the light source
though. Would something like this work with platinum, kallitype, or
cyanotype printing?

If this is what you are looking for let me know. We might be able to work
something out. It is heavy though so shipping could get expensive,
depending on your location. If nothing else I'd like to get some ideas
about how/if this thing could be used.

- Wayde Allen
(allen@boulder.nist.gov)