Re: Circles of confusion (was UV light sources)

Larry Bullis (lbullis@ctc.ctc.edu)
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 08:00:10 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995 SCHRAMMR@wlsvax.wvnet.edu wrote:

> I can't remember the name of this process, but in involves using a point
> source of light, a slide and a camera without a lens in a darkroom. The
> slide is placed about 10 cm from the camera with no lens and inline with
> the camera and point source. What results is an interesting, distorted
> image which is really made up of hundreds of diffraction patterns. My point
> is that you cannot get this effect if you: 1. do not use a point source,
> 2. the slide is not located some distance from the film plane. When I

I bet this is similar to the strange and wonderful patterns that are
formed during a near-total solar eclipse. The shadows take on an aspect
that reflect the slim crescent shape of the visible portion of the sun.
It is good to know that I can work with this notion without having to
wait until 2036, or whenever the next solar eclipse is coming to my area.

Larry Bullis
Shoreline Community College