Re: Gum-Platinum / Cyanotype-ceramic

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 17:59:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995 eml@gate.net wrote:
> something called a "pH Pen", which apparently contains an "ink"
> which contains pH sensitive dyes. Whether these would work on

My pH pen (from Light Impressions) has about consistency of a watercolor
marker -- not oily or inky -- would probably work on bisque or other
absorbent clay, not on glossy or waterproof surface.

> has anyone tried firing the transferred cyanotype? It should
> come out either burnt siena oe black, I would think. Just a

A popular process in the '70s when photo on ceramics had a renaissance
was decal --maybe that's similar to or same as "transfer." But note that
those cemetery portraits may have been carbon transfers.

And the process, by the way, is still in use, at least by one
little-old-artisan in Paris. NYC photographer Josef Astor discovered him
(I mean he knew he was there, but we didn't, right?) and was so intrigued
he managed to learn to do the process...with help from a potter, he said,
but no prior experience of his own in the medium.

Judy