U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Platinotype woes and now papers for pt/pd

Re: Platinotype woes and now papers for pt/pd

Camden and all,
For the record, there were several list members that said a few years back that Cranes Cover (aka Platinotype) Extra White was not suitable for pt/pd, and Cranes knew about this issue. I can't remember what the reasoning behind the listees complaints was at the time because I was not slugging through trials and tribulations with pt/pd printing. Google Cranes in the list archive around 1999-2003. Maybe it was bleeding...if someone has used it recently and it is OK please respond.

If I am not mistaken, there is Crane's natural white extra white, and then a buff, correct? Anyway, the NATURAL white is fine. I would be surprised if B and S would carry a paper that was not suitable for pt/pd printing so either Cranes fixed the problem, or it isn't the extra white.

Eric, I told you that my Platine was wrapped by Daniel Smith and I was wrong--it is in 25 sheet packs wrapped in brown by Arches, itself. I will look inside and see if I can find batch numbers and if they are different.

Camden, I am biting the bullet and buying Cot 320. When you waste days figuring out bleeding issues, spending $5 or $6 on a piece of paper PALES by comparison :)

However, I personally like Platine and how it handles, which is why I keep working with it, assuming my practice is at fault and not the paper...and was able to get some beautiful prints yesterday with all the list's help on humidity, Everclear, sodium citrate, lucky underwear...but it is tricky, because if the paper is too damp, the print tends toward dull gray and so it has to be just right.

I'm tellin' ya, gum is a piece of CAKE compared to this! But when you get a beautiful print it is well worth it. Makes me really want to go out and buy a real humidifier for the room--MT will never be above 40% humidity.
Chris

Chris just informed me that she's heard the white Platinotype doesn't work
very well, and the natural finish is the way to go.  Do the pd masters out
there agree or disagree?  Should I change my order before they send it
out?  I'm fairly indifferent about natural vs. white, as they both would
work for this series.

I've worked with Cot320, and really like it, but not Platinotype.  I
decided not to go with Cot320 primarily because it's twice as expensive,
and I'll be needing a lot of it (on a poor college student's budget).  Is
the Cot320 really worth the extra money?  Should I bit the bullet?