U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Platinotype woes and now papers for pt/pd

RE: Platinotype woes and now papers for pt/pd

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: Platinotype woes and now papers for pt/pd
  • From: Eric Neilsen <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:40:16 -0500

This was sent on Sept 4th, but apparently ATT and USASK.CA don’t get along. So it is reposted here…

Camden, It is important to find out lot numbers from those using papers that “work” as well as how long it has been in their possession. And while COT 320 is a nice paper, I’d not look at a paper for easy of use but rather does it give you the quality of print you are after. There are ways around using papers that have limited wet strength. Coventry Rag is a nice paper for platinum printing as an alternative to the higher priced papers. It does not perform as well as COT 320 but works fine. If you are looking at a “whiter” paper, you may consider using an OB_ optical brightener. They can fade over time, but your print will change over time anyways.

Eric