U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: pt/pd mounting > not gum related

RE: pt/pd mounting > not gum related

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: pt/pd mounting > not gum related
  • From: Gawain Weaver <gawain.weaver@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:19:15 -0400

Camden, this is all theoretical since I have never seen any 50 or 100 year
old polyurethane-coated pt prints. But I don't think a polyurethane coating
will degrade the platinum print any faster. My concern is with the fact that
the coating cannot be removed, so any damage or deterioration to the print
or the coating or the adhesion of the coating to the print will be nearly
impossible to fix. In contrast, a stained or torn pt print can generally be
repaired very satisfactorily. It's impossible to know what kind of damage
would happen first. If nothing accidental occurs, then I imagine it would be
some kind of cracking/peeling/delaminating/discoloration. Applying a
difficult to remove coating or laminate to a piece of paper in the name of
protection has been done many times over the past 60 or more years in the
archival world. And to my knowledge it has always turned out badly in the
end. Granted, no one has used polyurethane. But I have no reason to suspect
it would be any better in the end.

Gawain Weaver

Gawain, you mentioned that from a conservation standpoint polyurethane is
a nightmare.  Could you elaborate on that a bit?  Will it degrade the
print faster, or is it simply a matter of cracking/peeling?

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net