U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Non-nasal identification of 'off' gum arabic solution

Re: Non-nasal identification of 'off' gum arabic solution

Speaking of regulation (not the public regulation though), I had some
experience to share... especially for cyclists and people who visit
NYC at least occasionally.

I went to pick up my Amtrak tickets the other day and asked the clerk
about bicycle regulations. My bike is folding bike that folds down to
a size of a suitcase and this is indeed smaller than someone's
camera. The clerk had no idea and sent me to the luggage handling
department. Although the guy there didn't anticipate any problem with
me carrying my folding bike to the passenger train, he didn't know
about the Amtrak regulation on folding bikes, and he told me to tip
red cap generously and tell him that this is a wheelchair parts to
help my disabled brother in NYC. He literally told me to lie.

When I came home... I googled on Amtrak and folding bike. It is
allowed to bring to passenger trains just like regular luggage. It
goes without saying that I printed out a bunch of copies of this page
and highlighted the applicable clauses and had it ready together with
my tickets... But there was no trouble at all both ways, and I didn't
have to show my printout, but I don't think anyone there knew the
folding bike regulation.

It was actually a good idea to bring my bike to NYC... The drivers in
Manhattan are a bit more predictable than Boston drivers (though
traffic can be a bit worse) and bike is actually MUCH faster to get
around in the city than taxi during rush hours.  Plus, unlike Boston
area, there's no hills and you don't need 5 years of experience to
know the road. I didn't have any problem bringing bikes into
restaurants and bars (but I was ready to tell them this isn't a bike
but wheelchair parts). Maybe next time I'll try to get a trailer for
bike taxi so that I can move around with my friends...