U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: what paper negatives ?

Re: what paper negatives ?

On Oct 12, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Keith Gerling wrote:

I admit that I have not used paper negatives in several years. I forgot how
good they can be. If curves could be used to achieve better highlight
detail, that might be the way to go.

-----------------

We used paper negatives in Keith's gum workshop (Istanbul) and I was
surprised with the fine results we got (black ink only). I'm inclined to use
paper negatives for future gum works. I guess I won't need the sharpness
which ultra low dot gain transparency media provides since I will print "a
la Keith" (= big, around A3 - A3+).

It isn't entirely clear (at least to me) what means "paper negative" here. I surmise you mean a negative printed on opaque paper, rather than transparent film such as pictorico -- but still printed by inkjet,
Yes, that's what I meant, at least, when I said I printed from paper negatives for several years, when my old inkjet printer would no longer make decent negatives on transparencies.

Then the paper that's been printed digitally is waxed or oiled? Or not? And, if you please, which paper ????
I don't know about other people, but I oiled mine with mineral oil. Kees and I both reported using Epson photo quality paper, which took oil very well, but I should mention that this paper has a noticeable (when viewed against light) internal texture. Oiling the paper makes the texture less visible, but in large areas of even tone, it can sometimes be seen in a gum print. However, since it wasn't a regular texture, like a laid pattern for example, I didn't find it objectionable. But some might. I'll see if I can find an example on my website. So there might be a better paper for the purpose. For a while I was using a paper that was designed especially for color photocopiers, that had no grain at all, took oil well, and printed beautifully, but when I went to buy more of it, it had changed or was no longer available or something.

I'll add that IME, glossy coatings on photo papers (at least those available in the late 90s) didn't take either wax or oil well.
Katharine