U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT question and Hello

Re: OT question and Hello

Check out Andrew Davidhazy on the web; a student of mine made a camera like his to stretch people and it is quite cool! The film is wound while the shutter stays open and he pans with the subject. This student got the formulas to make it all from the web (and exposure stuff).

Then, another student made a cheap version out of a holga--had the holga on the tripod, turned the film and the camera at the same time as the shutter was held open.

THEN another student did this with a particular kind of camera panoramic--can't remember the brand (Camden, do you remember the brand of camera Sarah Stascavage borrowed from Jeanie to take those stretchy shots she showed in thesis last wed nite?).

This may not be any help, nor what you are looking for/referring to, but then again, perhaps.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Saffron Branfoot" <Saf.branfoot@tiscali.co.uk>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: OT question and Hello

Thanks for your suggestions, Dan, and for the great site you suggested.
I really mean in camera effects because photoshop and computers are a closed book to me.
The nearest example I can think of is a recent article on the work of James Fee in the latest edition B&W magazine and the title was 'Retreating man' in case anyone has seen that.( I can't find it on a website. ) I don't know how this particular image was achieved though, as Fee evidently did a lot of work on his prints in the darkroom.
I have seen similar effects to the one I am looking for when photographs are taken through heat haze or like the headless swimmer by Kertesz, but also in 'normal' conditions. If I can track down some more examples I shall come back to the list - meantime, many thanks.
Best wishes,
----- Original Message ----- From: Dan Burkholder
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: OT question and Hello

Welcome to the list!

Could you point us to a web site with examples similar to what you'd like to achieve, just so we are on the same page image-wise? Thanks.

It's not clear if you want to get this anamorphic look in-camera or if you're willing to play in Photoshop a bit. Hunt Witherill has done some stunning floral work in which he has "bent" the image structure using the Polar Coordinates filter (Filter>Distort>Polar Coordinates). You can see some examples at the following:


If you are using CS2, there are also some new warping tools found in the Edit>Transform>Warp menu. Lots of fun and a great opportunity to waste time. ;^)

Hope this helps,


Saffron Branfoot wrote on 10/15/06, 3:05 AM:

I would like to make some images of my partner going about his work, so will use MF, and would like to achieve for some of them an 'anamorphic' look that I have seen elsewhere. It is not just that the image is out of focus, but that it takes on a strange shape. I nearly achieves this in one image where he was walking away and was in the background of a shot. Is this the way it is done, can anyone tell me? I would like to have a fairly extreme example of this - a suggested shape in the landscape to counter balance the more prosaic shots I already have - I would be so grateful for any advice.

-- www.DanBurkholder.com