U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT question and Hello

Re: OT question and Hello


If you want some interesting in-camera effects you might try pinhole photography as others have suggested, where you can quickly and easily make your own camera and experiment with a curved film plane (or paper plane as it is often easier to work with paper in place of film.) You can also get interesting effects by using more than one pinhole to create the image.

Another simple approach is to use a curved or flexible mirror and photograph the reflections in that. Traditionally, photographers used the glazing plates from their print glazers. Quite a few images have been made using various chromium plated curved surfaces. You can actually buy special mirrors that are designed for making panoramic views.



Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk _________________________________________________________________
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......

Saffron Branfoot wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions, Dan, and for the great site you suggested.
I really mean in camera effects because photoshop and computers are a closed book to me. The nearest example I can think of is a recent article on the work of James Fee in the latest edition B&W magazine and the title was 'Retreating man' in case anyone has seen that.( I can't find it on a website. ) I don't know how this particular image was achieved though, as Fee evidently did a lot of work on his prints in the darkroom.
I have seen similar effects to the one I am looking for when photographs are taken through heat haze or like the headless swimmer by Kertesz, but also in 'normal' conditions. If I can track down some more examples I shall come back to the list - meantime, many thanks.
Best wishes,
----- Original Message ----- From: Dan Burkholder To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: OT question and Hello

Welcome to the list!

Could you point us to a web site with examples similar to what you'd like to achieve, just so we are on the same page image-wise? Thanks.

It's not clear if you want to get this anamorphic look in-camera or if you're willing to play in Photoshop a bit. Hunt Witherill has done some stunning floral work in which he has "bent" the image structure using the Polar Coordinates filter (Filter>Distort>Polar Coordinates). You can see some examples at the following:


If you are using CS2, there are also some new warping tools found in the Edit>Transform>Warp menu. Lots of fun and a great opportunity to waste time. ;^)

Hope this helps,


Saffron Branfoot wrote on 10/15/06, 3:05 AM:
I would like to make some images of my partner going about his work, so will use MF, and would like to achieve for some of them an 'anamorphic' look that I have seen elsewhere. It is not just that the image is out of focus, but that it takes on a strange shape. I nearly achieves this in one image where he was walking away and was in the background of a shot. Is this the way it is done, can anyone tell me? I would like to have a fairly extreme example of this - a suggested shape in the landscape to counter balance the more prosaic shots I already have - I would be so grateful for any advice.

-- www.DanBurkholder.com