U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Third party inks for negative printing

Re: Third party inks for negative printing

Hi Eric,

Yes I tried that. The problem is the huge UV density jump between the black ink and grey inks (and colored inks too). The grey inks are dilutions of the same ink and the blacks are different inks. I don't know if this is the same for the epson k3 inks. This difference is clearly visible when looking at the print especially with ebony but also with the mis photoblack. I think adding an extra tonercolor (a diluted yellow or green maybe) instead of black might help more. With an adjustable toner ink theoreticaly you can create your own digital multigrade system.
But you need a dedicated printer for these BW negatives then. Nice thing is that these negatives look a lot more like the old analog ones we all still have sweet memories of.

By the way this non black printing method gives great results with normal BW prints on glossy papers too. Learned this on the BlackandWhitedigital list some years ago. That's why I started using it for negatives too.

kees

So for loger scale negatives I use spectral colored