U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Krylon Ultra-Flat Black (was Re: matte black paint pen)

Krylon Ultra-Flat Black (was Re: matte black paint pen)

So I wrote down Krylon Ultra-Flat Black from Richard's posting
on my notepad and went to a hardware store down the
street. It's really surprising they had it. I live in the city
so I usually get anything generic but when it comes to
anything specific, unless it's an icecream brand, I usually
have to drive 30 minutes to go to a big store in suburb or
mail order. For example, you can't buy the kind of toilet
paper that's nice to your (or anyone's) ass, so you'd Amazon
TP. Anyway, they had Krylon Ultra Flat Black in spray and
quart.

This paint is a good deal less reflective black than other
black paints I tried, but it looks reflective until it dries
out completely. It seems to require quite a bit more time than
the advertised drying time in open air drying to get minimum
reflection. I still see reflection from the treated surface,
but at least it's a bit dimmer and less specular. Let's see
whether this really improves the picture. If it doesn't, I may
have to go to the next step to order optical quality
antireflection paint. If someone needs good paint for pinhole
camera or more serious homemade LF cameras, I think this paint
is perfectly usable for anything away from main light
path. It's probably usable for lens hood, etc., before the
optics. These examples are probably along the line of
Richard's suggestion. However, my case is tricky because the
reflection is caused well within the coverage of the lens.

Incidentally, in Horizon Perfekt, the reflection is made by
blunt edges of thick (about 1.5mm) plastic pieces used to make
the slit shutter. I think they should've made many fine
grooves or other textures on the edge, and better yet to bevel
the edges so that the reflection goes away from the film.

Just a quick progress report for today.