U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Coating Box for Becquerel Development

Re: Coating Box for Becquerel Development

Hi All
Actually, varnish never really cures fully. I'd think of shellac before
varnish for this application. Or epoxy paint.
Best regards,
etienne
Thank you for your response. I will probably go with the shellac and I should have some of that on hand.

Bruce - the varnish probably doesn't matter. The iodine should be in a glass
dish inside the box, and capped by a sliding piece of glass that is slid out
when you want to expose the plate to the iodine fumes.

gregory
Oh shoot, The sliding glass is a great idea but it's probably too late for this box. We are using "Coming into Focus" with Gerard Meegan's chapter and he's a bit vague about the fuming box. I have been mostly making up the design so there are some definite errors. I will have to do a few modifications to improve the sealing of the box, it seems that the best result should have no iodine leakage.

Rob wrote:
I agree with Greg that the varnish will probably have little or no
effect on the powerful iodine fumes in your box. Varnish takes a while
to fully dry/cure, even though it may feel dry to the touch.
Consequently, you should wait several days (a week would be even better)
before putting the air-tight glass top on your fuming box.

Hi Rob
"air-tight glass top" do you have a drawing or a photo of your box. I don't have a air-tight glass top,should I?

Thanks again for all your help here is a link to a photo of my fume box.
http://members.shaw.ca/steelbar/FumeBox.jpg
Cheers
Bruce