U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: clearing dichromate stain

Re: clearing dichromate stain

Now that I've had my memory jogged about this, I remember a set of tests that I ran and posted on my site (although I can't seem to find the jpeg now, and fear I may have overwritten it with something else), where I created a dark brown dichromate stain in unpigmented dichromated gum by leaving it out in the sun for a while, then after developing and drying, I cut the stained hardened gum on mylar into strips and treated the strips variously with sodium bisulfite, potassium metabisulfite, sodium sulfite, sodium chloride, and plain water. The sodium chloride, I think, was because someone said that sodium chloride would probably work as well as sodium sulfite. The sulfite and the bisulfites both cleared the stain, meaning that they eliminated the brown stain altogether, leaving just a faint residual grey or blue-grey stain behind, although as I reported earlier, it took longer for the sulfite to work. The sodium chloride and the plain water faded the stain (although I think the water took overnight to do that) but didn't eliminate it, just made it a lighter brown, and the sodium chloride ate big holes in the hardened gum. Hope that's helpful,
Katharine