U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Newbie in lith print

Re: Newbie in lith print

Alberto Novo wrote:
Now I am on holidays now but if you can wait a few days I will see my notes and give you details on my working procedure (nothing new, however!).
Pierangelo,
here are my lith print notes.
Developer was Ansco 79b with a personal modification.
Original formula:
Sol.A
Sodium sulfite an. 120 g
Boric acid cryst. 30 g
Hydroquinone 90 g
Potassium bromide 6 g
Water up to 3000 cc
Sol.B
Sodium sulphite an. 1 g
Paraformaldehyde 30 g
(or equal amount of formaldehyde from solution)
Pot. metabisulfite 10.5 g
Water up to 1000 cc
For use, mix 3 parts A + 1 part B.
For lith print, mix 9 A + 3 B + 80 water, and 1 part of "old brown" if possible.
My modification consists only in making two solutions requiring 1+1 mixing for a more practical purpose (two equal bottles, less brain working, etc...).
That is,
Sol A: sodium sulfite 60 g, ... water 1000 cc.
Sol B: sodium sulfite 0.5 g, ...water 1000 cc.
For lith print, mix 1A+1B+16 water, etc.
I preferred this formula for some reasons:
I have found two or three slightly different formulae for D-85;
- D-85 has sodium bisulfite but it is not really clear if it is METAbisulfite;
- from MSD, what is sold (or was sold..) ad "Kodalith developer" does not contain formaldehyde, hence it is a different formula;
- in Ansco 709b, total sulfite ion and formaldehyde are in 1:1 stoichiometric ratio, so if you want to add an extra amount of free sulfite it is easy to calculate.
Paper was MACO expo RN (matte), now discontinued, overexposed at least 3x-4x what needed for a "normal" print with "normal developer. Development time: 20 mins. or more @ 25°C. My results are posted in alternativephotography.com
Alberto