Van: Loris Medici [mailto:mail@loris.medici.name]
Verzonden: donderdag 18 januari 2007 15:11
Aan: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Onderwerp: RE: Lithium palladium vs. "normal" palladium

Hi Camden,

Let me remind you that the sample calculation I did for you was for
60% AFO sensitizer. The norm is to use around 40-45%. Therefore the
amnt. of corresponding Li2[PdCl4] solution will increase if you use
45% AFO instead of 60%.

45% AFO = 450g + water to make 1000ml
450 / 428.067 = 1.05M

Again, since molar ratio of AFO to Li2[PdCl4] should be 2:1 then you
need 1.05 / 2 = 0.52M Li2[PdCl4].

Remember that 2 Mole LiCl + 1 Mole PdCl2 gives 1 Mole Li2[PdCl4]. This
means:

(a) 0.52 * 177.33 (1) = 92.2116 + water to make 1000ml = 9.22%
(b) 25g / 9.22% ~= 270ml

Notes:
(1) Molar mass of PdCl2
(a) Finding the solution % of 0.52M PdCl2
(b) Interpolating the % found in (a) to calculate the final 0.52M
Li2[PdCl4] solution volume.

In short, if you have 25g PdCl2 and

a) you're going to use 60% AFO, then you can mix ~200ml of LiPd metal
solution
b) you're going to use 45% AFO, then you can mix ~271ml of LiPd metal
solution

Since I use 40% AFO with good results (ask Sandy), there's no need to
go for 60%.

Hope this helps (and is good news to you),

P.S. Refer to my first message to find out how much LiCl and/or
(NH4)Cl you need. The amounts won't change since your PdCl2 amnt.
hasn't changed. You're just changing the final solution volume / the
water you add...

---------- Quoting Camden Hardy ----------

Loris,

Thanks for spelling this out for me.  Most of this chemistry talk is a
little over my head (I should have paid more attention in those chemistry
classes...), but seeing some numbers in there really helped.  :)

I think my confusion on this matter is finally starting to clear up (we'll
see how long this "clarity" lasts, hehe).  Thanks to those who attempted
to explain this stuff to me, on- and off-list.