U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dark gums

Re: dark gums

Chris,

I was interested to look for those layers in the prints at MOMA. Many of the
prints showed two distinct layers, a medium gray and a black. These were
often visible as mis-registrations near the edges of the prints due to
shrinkage of the paper. It is very possible that the black I saw was made up
of multiple layers over the gray, but there was never any mis-registration
showing in the black layer. This led me to suspect that there may have been
only 2 coats. By the way there were gum over platinums where I would assume
the paper had not been pre-shrunk since the platinum image was significantly
smaller that the gum image at the edges. Possibly the same use of non shrunk
paper is why the first layer of gum was so far off registration but the
later layers may have registered perfectly...

It would be so much fun to gather several of us together at one of these
institutions that has a collection of period prints and look and discuss
what we each see in them. Let's get a grant to do that!

Jack