U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re:"Tricolor gum printers" deconstructed

Re:"Tricolor gum printers" deconstructed

Judy Seigel wrote:

But whether or not, the "survey" strikes me as carefully contoured to,

1. make Katherine the arbiter of *real* gum printing and

2. exclude, downgrade, and/or trump Chris.

There have been signs of this campaign for months (eg, the "eating dichromate" claim), but this is so raw (and anti-art, not to mention bad for the list), I'm moved to protest. The tepid list response is a good sign, but history suggests the behavior will continue, even escalate, unless it's, let's say, "deconstructed." (Possibly even if it is, but newcomers might appreciate the heads up.)

Judy

When I saw KT's survey my first reaction was, why in the hell would someone think it important to make a distinction between "true gum" prints and full color gum prints that use a cyanotype layer? Then I thought, wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Chris Anderson uses a cyanotype layer in her three-color prints, and she also is an unabashed proponent of the use of carefully designed curves?

I have no idea what Katherine's true motives are, but hopefully she will at least provide the list with her definitive definition of a "true gum".

Sandy King