U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they don't, or not for long

Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they don't, or not for long

I'll add my uninformed 2 cents. I have this convo all the time with my family of origin, two of the 8 of whom are Mac users but who have never used PCs.

I have the benefit of both, a Mac at work, a PC at home. I have worked on PCs for 12 years. I have worked in Photoshop on a PC for that long. My PC WAY outperforms my Mac in both Photoshop and word processing.

However, I attribute that to not knowing how to navigate experientially on a Mac as well as I do a PC. Whatever you start with probably becomes your "native" mode of working and others seem strange. I personally don't like to think about what buttons to press while doing anything and PCs are subconscious for me. A computer should remain transparent while working on it and the PC is, the Mac isn't--for me.

Macs do start up faster.

Why don't Macs have a delete key that deletes to the right?

I totally agree with Mark that Word on Macs SUCKS. It is slow, balky and CRAP. I even go so far as to type on my home PC and then import it so I don't have to use the Mac for word processing. It could be that new chip?

So my bottom line is that those of you who say image processing on a PC isn't good, I just don't agree.

So now, can anyone recommend a state of the art point and shoot camera that shoots raw mode that you all really think is top notch? Smallish and pocketbook friendly?
Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "SusanV" <susanvoss3@gmail.com>