U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they don't, or not for long

Re: "Macs just WORK" - Indeed they don't, or not for long

Judy,

This indeed sounds horrible. I am one of those Mac fans you mention, and
have never had a problem with my series of Mac computers. They work
flawlessly for virtually everything I do.

So when I sent my daughters off to college, I insisted on buying them Macs
because of my smug belief in their superiority. I damn near got a rotator
cuff injury pre-emptively patting myself on the back for my cleverness in
dodging the undergraduate computer woes that I had heard so much about
from friends who had sent their kids off to college.

That was 4 years ago. The count now: 2 college age daughters, and 5 Macs
that they have been through. It may come as a surprise to some that a cup
of coffee poured into the top of a Mac PowerBook is harmful to the
electronic innards of the computer, but I am here to tell you that this is
indeed true. Also walking around the dorm room instant messaging on your
laptop while the ethernet cable is trailing behind the computer can also
be harmful, and a little known fact is that the ethernet port on laptops
is integrally attached to the mother boards. So breaking the connector is
a $800 repair instead of a $50 repair. Cool. And the list goes on.

I have begun to form a theory about computers that uses an analogy from
the offshore energy business. When companies put a steel platform in an
ocean full of salt water, they will stick large blocks of zinc on the
platform legs to serve as 'sacrificial anodes'. These blocks of zinc are
electrically more active than steel, and the natural electrolytic action
of metal in salt water (i.e. rust) preferentially attacks the blocks of
zinc instead of the steel on the platform legs.

So, my theory is that people like you (and my daughters) serve as
sacrificial anodes for the rest of us using computers. In short, you
attract all of our digital bad luck instead of it being spread around
evenly. I know that this sounds terribly unfair. But I am here to tell you
that I, for one, appreciate your sacrifice to maintaining this karmic
balance.

Sorry!

Clay