U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: PT/PD MOGULS, MAESTROS & GURUS

RE: PT/PD MOGULS, MAESTROS & GURUS

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: PT/PD MOGULS, MAESTROS & GURUS
  • From: Eric Neilsen <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:34:56 -0600
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net;h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:References:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:X-MIMEOLE:Thread-Index;b=5dNLXOa66RQrIlSXH00vkI927jIJAKoErB3mJAG+KMrf9Lia8YMe4+I+DX/JQgIqawA9M0syyR9LGh4dfjYwhjjBA9tUKfJyu91GnhfyFqMrQJZ/TXk+3bUufL0XiZ19mCq9Rdxgyz5HA8k5ubzfv77i8qaoMaWhphG7w247rDQ= ;
  • References: <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAIsdeRRYKtgRkfoAENz0NV7CgAAAEAAAAP3tG7eiBHpIpjetOnXNKKIBAAAAAA==@caribsurf.com><002f01c74f7d$685ed460$0300a8c0@DC5YX7B1><007601c74f86$33190c40$0100a8c0@NEWDELL><BAY115-DAV9AA664EBBD33619C0E93BB5900@phx.gbl><007601c74ff2$5436dcb0$0300a8c0@DC5YX7B1><!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAIsdeRRYKtgRkfoAENz0NV7CgAAAEAAAAM1Gmyu7M2tEny7RC1PNBYQBAAAAAA==@caribsurf.com><009a01c75058$1d7b4330$0100a8c0@NEWDELL><!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAIsdeRRYKtgRkfoAENz0NV7CgAAAEAAAAJr/f/FeFcZGl6I5htgH50kBAAAAAA==@caribsurf.com>

Bob, you'll notice that they sell HCL/muriatic acid in plastic bottles. I
think you're safe there. Highly concentrated acid should be in glass, but
weaker mixes you are ok with some plastics.

Jeremy, I use Sodium Sulfite and both EDTA Di and Tetra sodium salts. The
disodium has a lower pH and is used first in the clearing sequence. Early on
in my platinum printing experience, I assisted Chuck Henningsen with his
printing out in Portola Valley, CA. We had a exhaust system in the darkroom
to pull out the fumes from our processes; B&W, Cibachrome in large tube for
processing 30" x 40", and pt/pd prints.

It wasn't until we relocated to Taos, NM that I saw what it actually did.
There was no vent to the outside, just into the attic. The studio had many
canned lights that were unsealed, so the attic air was free to roam back
down into the studio. Just about every piece of metal in that studio should
some signs of rust and corrosion.

I occasionally use oxalic, citric and phosphoric acid and some hard to clear
papers. I also use a stronger mix of disodium/sulfite mix as well.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226