U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: fixing van dyke brown AHEM!!!!!

Re: fixing van dyke brown AHEM!!!!!

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Sandy King wrote:>
Chris,

Some references suggest that you don't need to fix VDB prints at all. If true, this would greatly simplify your working procedures.
Post-Factory could be one of those "references" ( I *think* I wrote it up.) My students and I tested as carefully as we could -- which began because one student fell in love with the color of unfixed VDB and didn't want to "ruin" that gold color with fixer... which is what turns it to brown.

So we washed, but didn't fix a VDB, (or maybe several), let it dry, then put back under the UV light half covered with something opaque, leaving that for -- I don't honestly remember, anyway several hours.

There was no difference between the covered part and the uncovered part that we could see over a period of a couple of years. (I kept it in my VDB teaching kit, so saw it at yearly intervals.) I've lost track of it since then so there may be long-term changes I don't know about, but... anyway it didn't *fog* the way unfixed SG would.

J.