U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Arches Aquarelle and Gum

Re: Arches Aquarelle and Gum

On Feb 19, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Michael Koch-Schulte wrote:

Things went from bad to worse. The first problem was that when the Arches
Aquarelle dried it dried very warped. My intent was to start with a
cyanotype II blue layer first. Bad choice, completely pocked marked with
yellow spots, then I noticed things (like brown-green cobwebs) floating in
the wash water. Yuck!. It all went into the bin. I think it might work for a
one-coat process that didn't require multiple soakings. I switched to
Fabriano Artistico late into the evening and it looked much more promising.
Thx.

~m
Michael,

I think Judy is right about the changes between paper batches. At least some of the Arches Watercolor paper that I used appeared to be sized with unhardened gelatin - they smelled like that and left gooey mess in the developing water.

I have wondered about hardening it with formaldehyde, but decided it's too much trouble. Luckily we have painters and draftsmen perfectly willing to inherit free paper...

Sam Wang