U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate images up on my website

Re: solarplate images up on my website

Susan, I covered the "bumpy surface" of the Nu-Arc bed with a sheet that was a kind of dull black mat vinyl on the top side with a woven (dark) fabric backing on the underside, BUT the surface was black... and, while it's true I wasn't doing solarplate (yikes !), it NEVER gave me any trouble. (The main operating problem I had with the NuArc, when it wasn't shorting out its fuse-erama, was the tendency to emboss delicate papers, and when I cut the pressure that vanished.) Frankly I'd suspect the white surface. It could well not be totally opaque, and could also also cause reflections, including from the upper glass (the one under the bulb), throwing other things off.

I can't remember what that vinyl sheet was... Or where I bought it. I think probably the Rubber Store on Canal Street, now of course long gone. But I have some scraps around (I use it for a mouse pad, and made an eye patch out of it after some surgery)... and am pretty sure I can scare up a swatch to send you as a sample, if you like.

(Do any plate burners expose onto white?)

J.