U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate images up on my website

Re: solarplate images up on my website

Hi Judy,

The problem we're having that might be causing these "measles", or
splotchiness in what should be even tones is this:  the plate suface
is a little tacky.  against that we place the Pictorico ohp film,
which we've printed in an inkjet so it has ink dots on the surface.
Those two surfaces grab each other, and then air pockets can develop
during drawdown.  The two surfaces sticking to each other don't allow
the air to get pulled out from between them as it should.  Kinda like
putting a decal on glass, and getting little air pockets trapped.

My thoughts about the slick white plastic are that it forms a barrier
all around the plate as the plastic gets sucked up against the glass
cover.  That stops the air from having a way to escape the area of the
plate.  When I removed the plastic, the little open "valleys" in the
rubber baseplate allow the air a route to the vacuum line that's
evacuating the air.

I'm going to replace the plate glass in the NuArc with a special Krene
vinyl that is supple and thin (sounds like Gumby).  Jon uses that.
Maybe then I can smooth the air bubbles toward the edges during
drawdown.

whaddayamean, "solarplate (yikes!)" ???

whaddabout, Gumprints - yikes!  those sound really scary!

susan