U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: A question of copyright

RE: A question of copyright

DEAR KATHERINE,
	There is the famous case of Neil Folberg (sp?) whose photos were
made into paintings by someone in Europe without Neil's permission.  He did
sue and won his case.  Soooooooooooo, one must definitely not think that
reproducing a work in another medium avoids copyright questions.  Also
"changing a few things" in a work does not make it O.K. to copy it and call
it your own.  Court precedent threw out that argument soon after the "new"
copyright law took effect in the US (around 1983?) Neil's case makes it
clear that changing media doesn't help either.
	Here in Barbados where aesthetic sense is a bit backward, many
painters used to poo-poo photography as an art form.  Then these same
painters would make EXACT copies of our photos as paintings and sell them
for thousands.  I got fed up and wrote an article in our local art magazine
indicting them by accusing them of believing that, if we didn't put paint on
canvas, we aren't REAL artists but then they steal EXACTLY what makes us
artists...our VISION...and make exact copies in paintings...which they feel
are REAL art because you apply paint on canvas by hand.  I used to feel I
was in a time warp at the beginning of the 20th century!  Well, needless to
say, I made some enemies but things have changed for the better since then.

		CHEERS!
			BOB