U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: A question of copyright

Re: A question of copyright

I think there are two legal issues, copyright and moral rights. Dealing with copyright, the law takes a pretty standard form around countries using the common law system (such as USA, UK, Australia and New Zealand), and the position here seems to be:

1.    If the lantern slides are pre-1945, then copyright has expired, so the lantern slides are in the public domain and may be freely reproduced.

2.    If the lantern slides are incorporated in new images, then the new images would be entitled to their own copyright, but only if those new images modify the lantern slides in a significant way.

3.    If the new images are simply copies of the lantern slides, then the new images are in the public domain too.

4.    Although the new images as a whole may  not be in the public domain, the included reproductions of the lantern slides may be copied by anybody else without permission (provided they can be separated out from the new images).

There are also generally acknowledged moral rights of artists, which include the right to be identified as the producer of one's own work; not to be identified as the producer of anyone else's work, to protect the integrity of the work against mutilation and distortion, etc.  Moral rights have no set duration, and may be said to last as long as the artwork survives.  In some countries using the civil law system such as France, moral rights give the original author control over an enormous ranges of peripheral things, such as the polilical context in which the artwork may be displayed, performed etc.

Moral rights are not given equivalent legal protection in countries using the common law system.  There is some recognition of moral rights in USA under the Visual Artists Rights Act, but it is really just a slight broadening of copyright protection, and subject to the same time limits and exceptions (such as "fair use"). Much the same applies in the UK under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act.

Beyond the legal principles everyone will have a view on the propriety of reproducing  other peoples'  work in the public domain.  For myself I cannot see that it does any harm, and on the positive side it may have the benefit of making heritage items cheaply available to a wider audience.  Copying great artworks is an activity long permitted in european art galleries  (there must be lots of photos of tourists standing in front of Starry Night looking at the photographer not the painting).  It may help develop new artists too - although I heard that in the years before Courbet's L'origine du Monde was put on public display, d'Orsay museum let some budding artist have lengthy private sessions so he could copy it, but one day he abruptly packed up and stormed out and was never heard of again, so there is probably a lesson in that.

Don Sweet