U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: more and more and more solarplate

Re: more and more and more solarplate

Keith wrote,
"I have never liked deep blacks or stark whites in my work, preferring
some tone in the highlights, and detail that you have to look for in
the shadows; the km73s give you that plate tone in the highlights."

That is SUCH an "intaglio printmaker" thing to say  :o).  All the
varieties and degrees of plate tone are much loved by printmakers ( or
at least the ones I've been around).  In my experience, it's better to
have some "tooth" in the highlights (to hold some ink), because
through wiping you can learn to control the degree of white you obtain
in the print.  With a metal plate, you can even burnish back in some
specular highlights if you want them... I expect with these polymer
plates, that same result can be had with a different technique, like
maybe rubbing in some sort of filler into the highlight areas.

But that's a finesse kinda thing to be explored later on, for me at least ;o)

A little off topic, but last night my husband was looking at an
etching I'd printed a long time ago for another artist. It hangs in
our house and I like it very much.  He hasn't ever really cared for
it, but last night he told me he is growing into liking it a lot, now
that he is learning to appreciate the process itself, and he even used
the term "plate tone" in describing what he was liking about it.  We
had a lengthy conversation about how sometimes understanding a process
allows one to view a piece with appreciation for subtleties that
otherwise escape notice. He is a classical musician, and draws
parallels of course, to the studied listening of compositions that
sometimes take years to fully appreciate.  Not exactly in  line with
popular culture and the "three minute radio song", crafted to be
instantly accessible... not a bad thing, just a different thing. :o)

blah blah blah... i'll shut up now and go back to the studio (where
the music playing is a Bob Dylan 3 minute radio song ).

susan