U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: more and more and more solarplate

Re: more and more and more solarplate

Chris,

The exposure times are very close to what Jon suggests, 10-11secs for a 5K lightsource. This is much less than I would have usually have exposed the plate for (45secs). From the very quick test I ran, there is definitely a deeper black although the midtones don't seem to have shifted at all. With such a short exposure/washout, I was worried that it might be uneven but it's actually very uniform, even in a smooth grey sky.

I have never liked deep blacks or stark whites in my work, preferring some tone in the highlights, and detail that you have to look for in the shadows; the km73s give you that plate tone in the highlights. But with Jon's method I may have to be careful, for the blacks are so deep.

As I mentioned before, I've played with numerous combinations of screen and image exposures and every time, the best was always 50:50 (+or- 10%).

Keith.