U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate wedgies

Re: solarplate wedgies

Chris,

I am not doing solarplate. With kallitype and pt./pd. I have never seen any sign of problems caused by newton rings in kallitype and pt./pd. printing. However, in carbon , where the surface of the tissue surface in contact with the negative is much smoother than the paper used in kallitype and pt./pd. I have seen some signs of mottling which I believe is caused by the interference patterns of newton rings.

My reasoning is that anything that breaks the interference pattern will eliminate the problem of newton rings. The image itself, where there is lots of texture, will break the pattern, and that is why the patterns appear almost always in large areas of even tones. The pattern can also be broken with some kind of tooth between the offending surfaces, such as talc, sized mylar, etc.

What I found was that spraying a coat of satin polyurethane on a sheet of 3 mil mylar (on both sides), and taping the mylar to the inside top of the glass of the vacuum frame, solved the problem for me.

Sandy