U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate wedgies

Re: solarplate wedgies

Jeremy and all,
I'm pretty sure they are newton's rings.
When the moisture gets trapped it keeps the two surfaces from meeting
firmly, and THAT is what causes the Newton's rings.  Not exactly the
moisture, but the space created by the moisture.  As it changes to
vapor and expands.  The space between is what causes rings.

AND another thing about ohp and polymer... I believe the tackiness of
the polymer surface "grabs" the coated surface of the ohp and seals
off bubbles, if you will, of air that become trapped.  Like smoothing
wallpaper bubbles... the vacuum can't get all the air out.  That's why
powder helps, or a roughened surface.  That allows the air a route of
escape to the edges of the plate.  We've talked about this before, but
just for anyone who missed it.

Susan