U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | known, unknown, pre-known and easy on the mayo

known, unknown, pre-known and easy on the mayo

On Tue, 1 May 2007, john@johnbrewerphotography.com wrote:

LMAO
Now that we're all being so polite, it would be nice to clue in your grandmother... what does LMAO mean, besides "light on the mayo"?

As for printing on unhardened gelatin,... let us NEVER forget that where gum printing is concerned, s/he who derides is tempting fate.

As it happens, I know of at least one gum printer who not only does beautiful prints on unhardened gelatin, but teaches it... I think at Penland, or some other east coast workshop site.

Needless to say I forget her name, but I met her (and saw her lovely gum prints) a few years ago at Ernestine Ruben's. I think that, for a while at least, she was the only one teaching gum in summer sessions at Penland (?), so should be possible to locate.

I'll add that, although I myself find hardening easier than not hardening,
I've done testing that indicated that with the right combination of materials (ALWAYS a crucial variable with gum), one can indeed print successfully on unhardened gelatine -- so, it is truly written: the wise tread easy on the mayo.

J.

At last it's up --- and AFAIK, fully functional! Please visit:

www.frontandbackpress.com
Read My T-Shirt for President: A True History of the PoliticalFront and
"I'd recommend it for a Pulitzer Prize, except I lack the credentials."