U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Kreene

Re: Kreene

Hi Keith,

I totally understand. I must not have been very articulate that day. No glass ever, just Kreene taped across the bottom of the frame with strips of foam core stuffed into the channels where the glass used to sit to help with sealing off the bed. I never did any testing with Kreene under the glass since I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to manually smooth out wrinkles with the glass in the way. The ability to feel grit through the Kreene is a huge QC advantage I believe. Smooth the kreene with (clean) hands, a rag, or one of the flexowands I cite, which are expensive for what they are, but work well.

If you want to take baby-steps, try it with both. I was going on Harold's advice, who said they used to retro fit their plate burners that way before they bought expensive new ones that used kreene as part of their design. I wouldn't hesitate to remove the glass again, or if I were in your shoes. If it's not what you expect, you can always put the glass back in.

If you do decide to jump in with both feet and remove the glass, you might want to make it easy on yourself get someone to help you for moral support if nothing else! I think you'll be pleased with the results once you get the resultant added static under control.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Jon

Keith Taylor wrote:
Hi Jon,

The Kreene will arrive today and I'll be replacing the glass with it immediately, but in the archives (2005) I read that you used both the Kreene and glass. This solved the Newton ring problem you had then, so why did you change to Kreene only? I'm also assuming I'll be able to use the setup (Kreene only) successfully with platinum and gum too. I don't want to find out later today that I didn't have to take out the 33"x44" piece of glass!

THANKS!!

Keith.

Re: Vacuum Cover Sheet for exposing Poly plates?: SOLVED

From: Jon Lybrook
Date: 09/30/05-09:25:01 AM
Boxcar Press and the company that provides them with some of their
plates, Anderson and Vreeland, were most helpful and gave me detailed
information on the use of Kreene in conjunction with advice on static
control (Kreene is very static prone). Kreene plastic gets taped over
the entire blanket of the vacuum frame, on top of the film and plate. I
then turned on the pump and smoothed out any wrinkles or bubbles with
the Flexowand (which is like the pad one uses to clean dust from record
albums, only longer). To get better pressure, I then lowered the glass
down over the Kreene, which didn't seem to create any problems.
Exposure time didn't seem to change, but presto, no newton rings
anymore. Shot 3 plates and no newton rings, 3 for 3.