To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: Single coat gums

Hmm, this is interesting; I wish we could see the illustrations. If I'm reading the instructions correctly, the intent here isn't to use a very heavy pigment mix, as I thought it was with Zimmerman. These authors emphasize that beginners often overestimate how much pigment is needed, and that "In working with gum prints, one is more and more surprised at the small amount of pigment required to make a strong print." So I don't get the idea that they are advocating making a very pigment-heavy mix, but I could be wrong.

I remember studying the Zimmerman article on the B&S website, but I don't remember whether I ever tried it. However, I did try the method mentioned in the Demachy and what's his name article that, like the article John has quoted here (thanks!) called for soaking the paper in potassium dichromate (10% in their case) and drying it, and then brushing it with a heavy mix of gum and pigment. My experiment with this was not a success; there are a couple of examples on this page, along with the same negative printed the normal way.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Demachy.html

When I reported my failure to the list, someone suggested that I might have better luck if I would try sizing with gelatin and cornstarch, so I tried that (included on the page) but that didn't work any better. The main problems I had were (1) the heavy gum/ pigment mix tended to flake off, and (2) a very heavy brown dichromate stain. The dichromate stain could of course be cleared, but since I could get a better print without the dichromate stain printing my usual way, I wasn't tempted to pursue the method further.
Katharine