From: Mark Booth
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 7:51 PM
Subject: John Szarkowski, Curator of Photography, Dies at 81

Announcement:  John Szarkowski, Curator of Photography, Dies at 81

Dear Photographic Community:

I'm convinced that life is composed of those we admire and those who disappoint; those who have contributed, and those who have squandered their talents and time.

The great photographers of our time, Walker Evans, Weston, Atget, Egglestons, Arbus, Winogrand, Friedlander, are but a few who have been elevated to such artistic stature by the work and influence of one single man, John Szarkowski.  The article speaks for itself, and the man most definitely made a difference for all of us as photographers.  We owe him a debt of gratitude, if not more, for this great and humble man made a difference.

I am convinced that God places people into our world who have but one overall purpose; lay foundations for others to succeed.  What a great and noble purpose!  His work enabled great photographers to emerge and become recognized for their work, and in turn these influential photographers have touched our lives so richly with written-light.  Thank you, John!

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Booth