U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: John Szarkowski, Curator of Photography, Dies at 81

Re: John Szarkowski, Curator of Photography, Dies at 81

Not outside the USA I think. I'll take Paris as the place where Photographic art took off with the USA a follower [. . .]

Richard, would you say that Szakowski's influence is primarily in the USA? Would you say the New York Times is taking an American point of view when writing, "John Szarkowski, a curator who almost single-handedly elevated photography’s status in the last half-century to that of a fine art"? That would not surprise me. Personally, I'm uninformed on the subject of French curators (among many other subjects).

Speaking of France, I have a question for everyone on the list: How many of you live in France? A different question: How many of you show work in France?