U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: printing gum on glass

Re: printing gum on glass

On my way to Santa Fe we had to spend the night in a funky town called Kayenta with lots of this sort of stuff that would make good gum prints. Abandoned houses with no windows anymore and brilliant blue walls, looking out framed glassless windows onto sweeping desert vistas, trailer homes with the inside floor littered with every imaginable liquor bottles...I popped my head into the last one to begin shooting and there were three people sitting in the trailer on chairs. One said, "Messy, isn't it?" I about freaked.
Chris
I saw a show at -- I think Aperture Gallery in its new Chelsea location last year -- by William Eggleston AND the fellow who inspired him, someone on this list less than 100 years old (my age today) will remember --- oh, wasn't that Wm Christenberry? -- the show was delightful, and full of rusty old signs, dilapidated barns, and so forth that were NOT printed in gum, but of course should have been. But we have a LOT of those scenes in NYC, or used to.... they do get knocked down for new condos.

But here's an interesting note -- reading the local community board listing of candidates for landmarking, I see that old painted signs on the sides of buildings are often landmarked... and as it looks like the south village (adjacent to our landmarked area) is hastening toward designation (not quite as fast as NYU destroys, alas) there are many such old painted signs -- which have a special title, I'll see if I can find it.

And speaking of shows, has anyone seen the Joseph Cornell show at Peabody Essex Museum? That's the one I most want to get to... Where the H... is that? Like Boston?

J.