U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Was Re: Bromoil Video, now oil printing

RE: Was Re: Bromoil Video, now oil printing

Hi Chris,

I am typing from memory, so the info might not be 100% accurate, but it will
give some basic idea. If you are reading old literature, sometimes the terms
are not standardized, so you will have to read the details from the context.

But oil printing refers to making a print (sort of like printmaking), but
the original is made from a bromoil. Later people make enlarged negative to
make print on gelatin coated paper like they do bromoil, and this can of
course be printed in printmaking fashion aslo, and this is sometimes
referred to as oil printing too.

Karl Koenig's gumoil is different. He basically made exposure on gum-coated
paper like we do gum bichromate, then coat the paper with printmaking ink
(or oil painting paint, I forgot), then wait for it to dry a little bit, and
repeatedly wipe the print with cloth (I forgot whether the print was damped
first). The idea is that the ink would adhere to the hardened part stronger
and not adhere so well to the unexposed part (because gum naturally absorbs
water, and water repels oil), so the unexposed area got wiped off.

Dave