U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Was Re: Bromoil Video, now oil printing

Re: Was Re: Bromoil Video, now oil printing

Henk,
You are so kind for the description, below! So it seems that gumoil uses gum, oil printing uses gelatin...interesting.

When I was in grad school I came across a printmaking studio that was doing this incredible silkscreen process with layer upon layer upon layer....what they would do is use this clear silkscreen gel stuff and do a few coats of that with the image through the silkscreen. That would dry--invisible--and then they would card dorland's wax medium mixed with pigment that would be repelled by the clear image. I did a couple editions that way and really liked the effect. Seems this repelling effect can be used to advantage in several different ways.

Oh hell, here are my notes, because it is easier to give directions than explain it--not that it is alt, but perhaps there are printmakers here that will benefit:

1. Register paper.

2. Use a negative instead of a positive on white paper, or a positive instead of a negative on black paper. The silkscreened image reverses to produce the highlights of the print.

3. Silkscreen the transparent base onto the paper; one time will produce lower contrast, multiple times will increase contrast and depth of tone as the image will build up in height. If possible, leave the silkscreen in place and do the layers over and over at once so that

registration will be more perfect that way. I did 3 layers on 20 prints in one session, over and over, as it dries quickly.

4. Mix powdered pigment or oil paint or oil based inks into Dorland's wax medium. Don't use that much. Mush it together with a palette knife.

5. Card or scrape the print with the waxy color over and over. The image will appear as the waxy color will absorb into the paper where the screened image is not.

6. You can buff it with a cloth, and add more highlights by rubbing off pigment anywhere you don't want it on top of the silkscreen image part. If it doesn't look right, card it/scrape it again and again.

7. I silkscreened on top of a waxed print and it worked fine, too. I'm not sure if eventually the wax underneath will reject this, but it has possibilities for layering.

I leave in an hour for the mountains of North Carolina for two weeks, to assist Lewis. It will be interesting because he does bromoil using a printer RIP to do his diginegs and I will attempt to calibrate bromoil with Nelson's PDN. His system, of course, uses the printer to do the curve and PDN uses no printer adjustment and the curve and image are all preadjusted in Photoshop. Of course the interesting thing is that Lewis needs an imperfect BW print (low contrast, dark and dull) so I will somehow have to take this into account.
Chris
----- Original Message ----- From: "henk thijs" <henk.thijs@hetnet.nl>