U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gumworksho

Re: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gumworkshop, September

Actually, when I mused that maybe this isn't a freeform gum, maybe it's done with "a separation negative of some sort," I wasn't thinking just of tricolor separations but of anything that separated the tones into a separate negative, in addition to a possible color separation. But certainly c would work too. The question was, if it's a freeform gum, how was the color separated? None of the answers below assumes a freeform gum, but all are certainly possible ways of achieving it with "a separation negative of some sort;" even "c" uses the negative to separate the colors rather than separating the colors in application or development. (When tentatively defining freeform gum, I was only thinking of separating the colors by selective application; I hadn't thought of separating the colors in development as Damiano did; that's very well done).


On Aug 19, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Loris Medici wrote:

Not that I think I have a better idea but will list some solutions that
look probable to me:

a) Making duotone (or tritone, or quadtone) separations. My color theory
/ duotone knowledge is limited, so I can't say if one could design
duotones profiles giving results similar to the image in question...

b) As Katharine says -> making tri-color separations... (Coloring done
in image editing program...)

c) Using a fairly high contrast negative and printing the highlights /
midtones and shadows in different colors. Shadows could have been
printed using a fairly opaque color or a color that gives green when
printed over earth colors - if possible... (Again, I don't know if there
are such opaque greens - or if there's a color which will give green
when printed over earth colors... A transparent blue?)

I would first try (c) then (b) and (a)...


-----Original Message-----
From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:40 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gum
workshop, September


Hence David's question about how one would get such a nice separation
of the green, in the absence of the use of color separations. One
possibility is that maybe that image isn't a freeform gum but is done
with a separation negative of some sort. Otherwise, I don't know
how it could be done.

Hope that's helpful, and as I said, I hope if someone has a better
idea, they'll say so.