U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Artistico Unsized?

RE: Artistico Unsized?

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Ron Guidry wrote:

Hey Loris.

I think that I may have found a solution to your problem. This is an ingenius (at least I think so) procedure that Richard Sullivan came up with to solve the problem of paper shrinkage and registration for gum printing. The link is:
Ron, have you actually done that method? Don't recommend it if you haven't -- and if you have, and it doesn't drive you batty, you may be more into "registering" and its comcomitant labors than printing. Either that or you are a magician.

A few of the drawbacks are -- to begin with, those register pins, only partly because register will be from the edges, which are peripheral, so to speak, not the center, which is where the subject is likely to be. Keeping pressure over the pins is more hassle than the description suggests, and anyway the damn things do not stay home, but are gone to a convention somewhere else no matter how many you have.

My own experience is that the drymount is likely to buckle, in which case lots of luck. Many printers don't want a layer of gunk on the back of their print, or to trim to the borders of the print, which gives a hard edge and of course loses the deckle; the idea of "saving time" by being able to do rapid coats is kind of meaningless, given that the register operation itself is long & tedious, longer than any coating and developing I know of, and what's the rush -- it's not a race. I'd rather anyway do many prints at the same time than speed-print through one.

There can also be problems with a large print on a rigid piece of metal... you can't for instance belly it to ease into a tray but have to splash or splat or clunk it down...gentle rocking isn't feasible, and so forth and on...(These are points that leap to mind, tho there are surely many more.)

Not that some folks might not mind any of the above... but if it were really the solution it would be common practice. Fastening a print to a rigid substrate has been advised / explained in one way or another since about 1905 (if I remember correctly... those olden days can fade from mind)... but never really "caught on." True, dry mount presses and drymount sheets can solve some problems, but the basic issues remain, or even grow.

Judy

http://web.archive.org/web/20050304002732/www.bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/substrat.htm

Hope this helps,
Ron Guidry